Are you Team PSL or Team PSL is Overrated?
September is here, and we all know what that means, right?!
Now, I realize there are two types of people in this world – team “PSL is Life” and team “PSL is Overrated.” If you are a pumpkin spice EVERYTHING enthusiast like me, and you race to Starbucks the day PSL is released, these healthy fall recipes are for you!
The problem with pumpkin-spiced lattes is I could easily consume one every single day, but my bank account, my body, and my husband would not be too happy.
The solution: healthier pumpkin-spiced lattes from your own kitchen!
Take your coffee game to the next level with these two recipes and only a few ingredients.
RECIPE #1: Healthy Pumpkin-Spiced Latte
This recipe is a healthy spin on the original, with substitutions for a cleaner coffee experience: natural sweetening with pure maple syrup, almond milk to make it dairy-free, and pumpkin puree & pumpkin pie spice for that true taste of fall. There are lots of ways to customize to your personal tastes, so start with this base recipe, but experiment with the ratios, flavors, and extras to your liking.
- 1 cup brewed, hot coffee
- 2-3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or make your own using this recipe)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
Add the almond milk, vanilla, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice to the blender. Blend until well distributed. Then add coffee and blend for 30 seconds. Open slowly and carefully over the sink (it will be hot and may have some pressure built up). Pour into your favorite cup and enjoy!
- Add more maple syrup or stevia for more sweetener
- Substitute with another type of milk
- Use more pumpkin puree for a creamier pumpkin flavor
- Top with coconut whipped cream (or your choice of whipped cream) and sprinkled cinnamon
- Blend with ice for a frappe
*PRO TIP: Do not reach for the cinnamon and accidentally grab the cumin (this has happened to a friend of mine and almost happened to me today) … you will be in for a rude awakening!
RECIPE #2: Keto-Friendly Bulletproof Pumpkin Spiced Coffee
If you’ve never tried bulletproof coffee, you need to! It sounds strange to add butter to your cup of joe, but when you taste the creamy, rich goodness it brings, your taste buds will be begging for more. Plus, this recipe with healthy fats is keto-friendly and helps you stay full during the morning. If you are a breakfast skipper or you need some help with those mid-morning cravings, this may be the boost you need.
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or grass-fed butter)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups hot, brewed coffee
Add all the ingredients to a blender cup, blend for 30 seconds, pour into your cup, and enjoy! If you don’t have a single cup blender, you can also use an immersion blender or a frother right in your mug. I have this frother that has a stand, and it has definitely changed my life; we all need to feel a little “extra” with our coffee, and this does the trick!
- Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the coffee for an extra boost to your metabolism
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of pumpkin puree to taste
- Add ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla (not vanilla extract)
- Substitute heavy cream for the butter
Once you experiment to find what you like, making it daily becomes a breeze!
*If you aren’t a pumpkin fan, I’m so sorry… 😉 you can definitely try these recipes without the pumpkin, using cinnamon or other flavors you enjoy!
Now you can have your coffee and drink it too with these guilt-free recipes to glam up your morning! Take a little time to do something extra for yourself this season, moms. You deserve it!